Thursday, July 9, 2009

Sweet Potato Fries


Sweet potato fries with dipping sauce are a new favorite around here. Okay, I'm still working on the boys, but I love them! Even though I know that sweet potatoes are better for you than regular potatoes, I've had a hard time making the switch because they are so sweet. I've tried them in the past and have always been disappointed that I couldn't make them more savory. That struggle ended after browsing recipes at Emeril Green and finding this one for Sweet Potatoes Fries with Two Dipping Sauces. Intrigued, I decided to give sweet potatoes another try and I am hooked! I also have high hopes that the boys will soon be converted to the sweet potato fry because they have trouble resisting anything that can be dipped. Who doesn't?

The following is my adaptation of Emeril's recipe.


Sweet Potato Fries
  • 2-3 sweet potatoes
  • cooking spray
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • kosher salt to taste
(dipping sauce recipes below)

Preheat oven to 450ยบ. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray. Cut sweet potatoes into french fry sticks and toss with olive oil. Lay flat on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 30-35 minutes, flipping potatoes half-way through cooking. Bake until caramelized and evenly browned.

Sour Cream Dipping Sauce
  • 3/4 cup light sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon lime zest

Spicy Sour Cream Dipping Sauce
  • everything from the above sauce
  • 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
We love the chipotle pepper version. It adds just the right amount of heat. Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment